Saturday 17 May 2014

Art Club Project #1- Silhouette masking tape

This project is a combination of a few ideas that I came across on Pinterest but the main idea is here. I wanted something that could be done in a one hour session that also wasn't too difficult as I wasn't sure about the general ability of the group.

Materials
- Thick cartridge paper
- Masking tape
- Watercolours
- Black marker
- Scissors
- Oil pastels

Firstly, you need to take your paper and place it onto newspaper or some sort of protection for the table. Take the masking tape and apply a few strip across the page in whatever shape or pattern you prefer. Some of the class went for 6 even squares and others did a kind of union jack, whatever patterns is fine. If you look closely you'll be able to see the tape stuck on in my example below.

The next step is to paint each section with a different watercolour. I told my class to try not to put different shades of the same colour next to each other. We used watercolour because it dries quickly and I think these came out better than my attempt with poster paint.

The next stage is to print out a side profile of yourself. I took the side profile pictures of my class and printed them out before the club. You need to cut around your profile and then colour it all in completely with a black marker. Once you have finished colouring it in your watercolour should have dried. Carefully peel off the masking tape and that will reveal perfect white lines between your sections.

 Once all the tape is off, stick your side profile silhouette to your masking tape sections.

Use the black marker to write words that describe you or things you like in each different section. Use oil pastels to decorate each section with fun, wavy lines and designs. I told the class to use a colour wheel to help them find a complementary colour.

And there you have it. I will post the results from some of the children in the club over the next few days. They came out beautifully and I'm incredibly impressed.

DB.

No comments:

Post a Comment